Sunday, August 10, 2008

Blueberries

Today, in keeping with the whole U-pick thing this summer, we went to Dexter Blueberry Farm to pick fresh blueberries. The weather was weird, but ultimately cooperative (no rain, no harsh sun).

This was much harder, in general, than strawberries. It takes lots of effort for less mass, plus I'm not as crazy about blueberries as I am about strawberries. But we had a good time, and it got us outside. Plus, it was in Dexter, very close. We picked about two pounds. It was neat, because there were lots of people there, including several sets speaking foreign languages. If you're going to get an impression of America, you could do worse than a blueberry farm.

Again, let me sing the praises of Ex Officio. I bought two of the Insect Shield bandannas, which the kids wore today. Rather than smear them with DEET, I can just tie this around them - the cloth is impregnated with insect repellent, and it lasts for 70 washings. Actually, I don't mind covering Sophie and Owen in DEET - the real reason we bought them was for Betsy and Fern up north, since Fern is too little for DEET. So far, so good.

Anyway, we had a good time and would go back. We did not see any wildlife (as their website led us to think we might), but we did see some dragonflies. Does that count?



No comments: